WEWE

WEWE

Sunday, March 28, 2010

T.I.A.

Africa wins this week.

We have had many fun times in Nairobi so far, we have met many new friends, we have seen many new places, and have been exposed to many new things. We have had a funny saying so far, "T.I.A." (this is Africa). It is a line from the movie "Blood Diamond" and it refers to how things may be different here from other parts of the world. We have found this saying to be true in Kenya.

This past week has been the toughest for us so far. The transition here at first was not to difficult. The school we are at is very beautiful, we have our own beds, we have the ability to take hot water showers, and are provided with three meals a day. As much poverty as we have seen outside of the school, we always know we will be back at Bosco Boys at the end of the day. This has been our comfort and our home.

A week ago today, Sunday March 21st, I (Pat) went on a trip to Don Bosco Makuyu. On the way there I saw a dead body lying in the middle of the road. Later that day we found out Katie's roommate, Susan (a native to Kenya), had her cell phone stolen in the "matatu" (bus) and also saw another dead body lying on a different road. The next day we were sitting with Fr. Makrios in his home and his friends (two American priests) came over to visit. Little did anyone know that Makrios's other friend (another American priest) was nearly beaten to death and had all his money stolen by some of his close Kenyan employees.

Later that day we had a computer class to teach. Katie took half of the 4th grade class to do computer theory and I conducted class in the computer room. When the bell rang I sent the student back to their class so they can prepare for their next class. Katie usually comes back to the computer room to help clean up and turn off the computers. She was not coming so I went to the 4th grade class to see what was going on. She decided to stay with the children because she did not want to leave a classroom unattended. The teacher who was supposed to come next was not coming. The forty fourth graders started to jump around, yell, and act like children. There turned out to be some reasons why a teacher was there, didn't think they had to be, and just wasn't present. That isn't what bothered us but what ended up happening was a teacher came in, brought an electrical cord, and began hitting the children in the hands. If they refused she would then whip them across the body. We pleaded with the teacher to stop but the teacher just smiled at us and said, "it's ok, it's ok".

It became hard for us so we just left the classroom. We eventually found out that hitting children is NOT acceptable for the teachers but it does happen. We are not used to seeing children hit and especially not in a classroom setting. T.I.A.

On Wednesday Katie, Maria, and I took the day off. We decided to take the "matatu" to town and treat ourselves to a movie at the cinemas. Katie sat in the front of the bus and Maria and myself sat in the last two spots in the back of the bus. Maria sat next to the window and I was sitting between her and another man. The man then looked at me suddenly and covered his mouth as if he had to throw up. I then tried to get up but the man tried to get past me and Maria, I remember thinking he was doing it the most inconvenient way possible. He eventually got past us, stuck his head out the window, and "threw up". I then immediately checked my pockets for my belongings. I had an unsettling feeling suddenly something wasn't right, a feeling I have often in Kenya which is a shame. I was wearing my cargo pants (which my mom got me :) thanks mom) and had 1500 Kenyan schillings (around $20.00 US dollars) in the smaller pocket which was locked. I also had our cell phone in the larger left cargo pocket which was locked. I first felt for the phone and noticed it was missing. I then looked on the bench seat and it was next to the man. I was happy to have the phone back but didn't even think anything of the money due to it being in such a small pocket. The man then got up, motioned to the bus attendant to stop, then he was followed off the bus with the other man sitting to my right.

When we got to the cinemas the three of us were talking about how we all hate the "unsettling" feeling we have in Kenya. I then went to my pocket to get my money and it was gone. I was pick pocketed. I am not upset so much about the money (thought I wish I did not lose it) but there is a disheartening feeling you have when something is taken from you. T.I.A.

The cultural differences here are starting to set in. It has been tough but we knew coming here things would be different. We did not want to come for a few weeks because we would not have to adjust to things. We are definitely adjusting, well at least trying to. We are just continuing to trust in the Lord that we are here for a reason, that's all we can do.

Fr. Makrios told us a quote from Mother Teresa. It went something like this, "we are all just drops of rain in this sea we live in but if that drop wasn't there the sea would not be the same". We hope to continue being a positive influence here and giving grace to those who make us say T.I.A.

So Africa wins this week but we'll be here next week fighting.

2 comments:

  1. My prayers are with you on your journey. This entry was very touching. The quote from Mother Theresa will stay with me all day. Love you both,
    Sonora

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are amazing! piano piano. I miss you both. let's actually skype soon... I have internet access for 2 weeks

    ReplyDelete