WEWE

WEWE

Sunday, May 23, 2010

An Experience

A while ago, Fr. Sebastian of DBYES, asked me (Pat) to write an article for the Don Bosco African East Magazine. It was recently published and here is the article...



My experience here has been like no other experience I ever had. I have been in Kenya for almost 11 weeks now and I have never been more out of my element. This has been the longest I have been away from home, friends, family, and comfort. My journey here has taken me to Europe and now Africa. I have seen new countries, new flora, new buildings, new cultures, new people, and new ways of living life. The one thing that has stayed constant for me, though, is my trust in God’s plan for me being here.
It is not always easy to trust, especially when you are so removed from the comforts of home. I came on this trip to Bosco Boys with my girlfriend, Katie. She has been my home, friend, family, and comfort here. Back at home when I have problems, confusions, or need someone to talk to, I have an abundance of people I can turn to. Here I turn to Katie, but she can not fix everything. I truly feel I have been forced to turn to God and what I have received is His word to trust in His plan.
Bosco Boys is truly a special place. The first thing I realized when I came here is that this place only exists because people believe so strongly in Jesus that they have dedicated and focused their lives on helping these street boys. It is a wonderful thing to experience and be apart of. The children are so talented, full of energy, and intelligent in so many ways due to their experiences on the street. I don’t think children in America could comprehend the reality of the lives of these Bosco Boys. I pray these children will focus their “street smarts” towards the classroom. If they can do this, I believe they could be the most successful people, anywhere.
Before I came here I received many books regarding street children in Kenya from family and friends. I have come to realize that each one of the children affiliated with Bosco Boys has a story and each story could be one of these books. It is touching to see these children be happy, playing, and learning. Children here have had a more challenging story than any person at this age I know back home. Seeing the homes, streets, and slums where these boys come from is truly a humbling experience.
These humbling moments makes me appreciate more the blessings I have had my entire life. I know the rest of my time here will be confusing, fun, difficult, enlightening, and will continue to be an experience like no other.

1 comment:

  1. Patrick and Katie thank you for sharing what the two of you are doing on your trip, along with being incredibly open, real, and honest not only with us but with each other. You both will continue to remain in my prayers as you grow on your faith and life journey. Miss ya Patrick so many things remind me of you and what you are doing...

    ReplyDelete