WEWE

WEWE

Monday, June 21, 2010

I miss you already mom and dad!

I (Katie) thought I would write a blog of my own about my experience on my parents visit. It was such an amazing time for Pat and I to just have a break. A break from the boys (because sometimes you just need a break), a break from the compound, and a break from our daily routines. I have had a lot of hard times here, and literally all of that seemed to disappear when my parents came. I loved having them here not only for the comfort, but for fellowship, for good food, and for different adventures.

When they first arrived, they had bags that were solely things Pat and I needed from home. I cannot even explain the feeling we had when they were pulling the stuff out of the bag and handing it to us. Some of those things included candies, clothes, cards, protein bars and shakes (because the food is not always the best), cards from friends, cd's, books, and a few other knick knacks. All of these things to us are luxuries now. I don't think there has been any Christmas in the past where I felt as lucky as I did when they gave us these things. After living with boys who wear the same things every day, eat the same things everyday, listen to the same 5 hit Kenyan songs everyday, I really felt spoiled and slightly guilty that I was lucky enough to get these things, but I couldn't share them with the boys. Not that I wasn't overwhelmingly grateful, but there was that "I was born in this family so I get ..." kind of feeling. I wish I could provide for these boys the things that my parents were able to provide me.

I am so blessed to not only have the luxury of receiving these gifts, but that I have parents that are so wonderful, parents that love me and care for me and would do anything to comfort me during hard times. The day after they left, I had an overwhelming amount of compliments about how lucky and blessed I was to have parents like that. But there was one comment made by one of the boys Vincent that really touched me, and it was hard not to just hug him and start crying. He told me that my mom was a very wise woman, that she was so sweet, that he could tell how much she cared and loved me, and that he wished he had a mom like her. Most of these boys are missing one parent, a lot of them, both parents. And even though some of their parents may be alive or present, many ran to the streets due to their relationship with their parents. I am so blessed.

Thanks mom and dad for being so amazing, for talking to me every time I get lonely here and giving me perspective, for always pointing me to God first in all things, and for being examples of Christ's love. I love you guys so much!

Daddio in front of the Mosque on the way to Masai Mara

We all made dinner (thanks especially to dad) and it tasted like home

At the prayer labyrinth garden

Me, Br. Eric, and dad (who LOVED talking with Br. Eric)

Mom, Judy, and Anne at Nyama Choma (BBQ)

Mama Jo and Me

Parents with the Langata boys

Dad with Mwaniki and the boys after night prayers

Martin and Duncan climbing up the Pat tree to get his hat

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Katie for your kind words. Being with both of you was so wonderful, and we are so comforted to see how you are both so loved and your family at Bosco Boys are so caring and we were blessed beyond words, give our love to everyone! love mama kerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Katie, I love reading this note, especially because you talk about your mom & dad and how blessed you feel to have them as your parents, how they love & support you & help keep your focus towards Christ. It makes me smile because I felt this same way many yrs. ago when your mom & dad graciously welcomed me into their home, you kids were not born yet, they loved on me as if I was their child & kept my eyes heaven bound. You do have awesome parents, and they are both very wise souls. I love them beyond words and my time with them I have reflected back on and will continue to for the rest of my life. I am so happy you were blessed with a visit from your mom & dad, that they refreshed & loved on you both. I can only imagine as a mother myself of a beautiful young woman how hard it was for your mom to let go of your last hug & get on a plane to fly away from you but know she is only distant in body, she is right there with you in spirit for sure.
    God continue to protect & watch over you, may your hearts be filled with assurance & peace as you lay your heads to rest at night. Blessings from Oregon dear ones as you serve in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Lisbeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie Nelson! I love you so much and I am glad that your parents got to come share a piece of your experience there! What a wonderful thing. I think about you and pat all the time. I miss you and am so grateful for you both.

    ReplyDelete